Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Persistence and the daily schedule

I'm often asked how I'm able to get so much done in any given day/week/month and I'll take this opportunity to state that I actually do sleep (in fact this past weekend I was down with the flu and slept for what felt like 20 hours) and BTW... I'm not a robot either!


The real secret for me is a series of components.  The first is a plan and a written set of goals.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm using my own personal "concoction" of goals setting systems at present, but the most important to date is the 12 Week Year (which you can read more about HERE) and its constant focus on reviewing goals consistently.  At the beginning of each 12 week cycle, I lay out the macro goals that I'll be targeting in each key area (more on that in the coming weeks) and then use that document to formulate my monthly goal sheets... From which my daily planning flows. 


Once I've got my goals laid out and documented (a process that I have now incorporated into my weekly schedule with another component of the 12 Week Year known as the strategic block), I'm ready for the key that makes everything flow... The daily schedule.


I get up each day at 4am.  There I said it.  The fact is that I get not just the extra 120 minutes that come from getting up this early, but it gives me the truly focused, uninterrupted time in my day that makes me a better employee, colleague and all around expert in my field.  I simply outwork the competition.  Getting up early however is not the only key, and that is where persistence and planning both play a key role.  I get up at 4 EVERY DAY... Regardless of timezone and regardless of workday, weekend, holiday or not.  Just like working out physically isn't a one time thing... Neither is getting the results a that you want..at the scale that you want.



The fact remains however that the entire world can't get up at 4 each day...and frankly that's OK.  What you need is uninterrupted focus time (I suggest 2 hours/day but it will likely vary by profession) where you can spend time focused on refining your plan, reading, learning more about your craft and perhaps most importantly....laying the groundwork for living.... A life well led!

Here's to you.. And another day in a Life Well Led.


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment